Thursday, October 31, 2013

Rainy Halloween

Yes, it is Halloween and it is raining. The rain woke me up during the night, so I guess it is safe to come to the conclusion that there may not be a lot of trick-or-treaters...we have a 90% chance of rain for today.
While checking email this morning and looking on facebook, I decided to make a "bucket list" of quilts that I want to make.
And yes, I will design them, all of them.
1-Double Wedding Ring: already redesigned and making it. Actually I've designed 3 different versions.
2-Broken Star: you know the lone star or Star of Bethlehem that has the star points surrounding it
3-Winding Ways
4-Jack's Chain
5-Large Compass/Mariner's Star with Flying geese circling the compass
6-Applique: I want to design my own leaves, flowers...all of it and I don't want raw edge, I want the edges finished, but machine appliqued with beautiful silky threads
7-Triple Irish chain...why this one? Don't know, just never made one and I love the way they look
8-Y-seam quilt...don't have a particular one in mind, just need to perfect the Y seam or find a better way to make it look perfect!
9-Giant Dahlia!! Oh yes! Need to do this one!
 
Maybe one day I will have a #10 project to add to my bucket list, but I think this is a good start.
 
Now for today since I kind of have some free time, I think I am going to attack my sewing room.  I want to clean and organize my sewing room. I would like to have a more organized sewing area, machine sewing not longarm quilting. I've went from a 14ft longarm table down to a 12ft table. I gave my daughter Kate, the chest of drawers and baker's rack that was in my sewing room...I needed more room and she needed those 2 pieces of furniture for her new house...her sewing room and Brandon needed the chest of drawers for his clothes.
Rearranging the sewing room:
I need stations/storage for:
Sewing
Accuquilt
Cricut
cutting table
threads: both domestic sewing & longarm
ironing
storage for books
storage for fabrics
scrap fabrics
scrap batting
Rulers both longarm and piecing
marking pencils, pens
scissors, blades
UFO's
Customer's quilts
My quilts....
 
Let's focus on scrap batting: I think I would like to begin a couple of "quilt as you go projects".  But, do I go and cut all the batting pieces down to say 12 1/2", 10 1/2", 8 1/2" or 6 1/2" squares? And have them in a nice bin to just grab and go? Hmmm.... Or should I have a variety of sizes to work with. I love the quilt as you go concept and you can use up your scraps both batting and fabric.
I was also noticing in my sewing room that I have too many UFO's that I started and well I know I am not going to finish them...at least in the original pattern intentions. For example: I have 2 Shakespeare in the Park quilts in pieces stored in a plastic storage bin. I know for a fact I cut some of the units wrong...that was why I gave up. Soooo, I have all these pieces...what am I going to do with these? I know! I'm going to make some Quilt as you Go projects from them. I can make tablerunners, table toppers...pillow coverings...small wall hangings..why not?!
My point to all this is I need a better organization system! I find that my room is too crowded and I cannot get to things without stumbling, pulling things off the shelf as I pass, knocking things down...you know what I mean. It is time to attack!
Now my Gammill is gone. I'm waiting on my Innova to arrive. I have space to move things around before my new machine arrives. I believe it is time to attack. So what do you say? Time to attack? I believe so! Wish me luck! I think I will have some breakfast first....

No comments:

Post a Comment